Friday, January 20, 2017

The Importance of Sleep for Empaths and Sensitives

Empath Matt says “I have a problem in that I am very sensitive to the repressed emotional pain of others around me, and absorb it like a sponge. Most of the time I can handle it, but it means I am unable to sleep in the same room as my wife, or anyone for that matter. I will wake up feeling blurry and nauseous the next morning, with a strong hangover type of feeling.”

Matt’s situation is all too common for those of us who are sensitive to energy. Too much interaction with other people causes energy drain in many empaths. Many of us simply cannot be around people for too long, or we will begin to become engulfed.

Finding and CLAIMING your own personal space while sleeping while in the context of a relationship is a skill that many of us are LONGING for. For some of us, the thought of being engulfed causes us to avoid relationships in the first place. For those of us who already are in loving relationships, there are some things we can do to establish boundaries, especially when it comes to sleeping arrangements.

Empaths require good quality regenerative sleep more than the average population, and yet our sleep can be fraught with problems unless we take the matter into our own hands. Many of us simply cannot handle the energy of our partner for too long. There is NOTHING wrong with that. There is NO GUILT or SHAME in knowing that. Your partner’s noises and movements during the night may cause you to lose sleep, leading to less than ideal energy the next day. Furthermore, energy fields merge when you are so close to your partner, and you may be absorbing his or her energy during the night. It is for this reason that it is wise for you as an empath to make a bold decision about how you will sleep. Are you willing to sleep in the same bed with your partner? It doesn’t have to be the only option. The beauty is YOU GET TO DECIDE!

It would be wonderful if you could share your TRUTH with your partner and let them know that you’re a sensitive person and that includes during sleep as well. There are options. You can sleep in another separate bed in the same room, permanently sleep in an entirely different room, temporarily sleep in another room to recharge, or you can come together as a couple a few nights a week and sleep in the same bed if that would generate connection for you as a couple. There are Earthing mattress covers that ground you to the Earth’s energy during sleep and many claim this has improved their sleep significantly (I know it has for me).

Experiment to see what feels right for you, and discuss your sleep with your partner regularly, to make sure you’re both on the same wavelength. This will ensure that your boundaries will continue to be respected, and your healthy relationship with flourish! MOST OF ALL, KNOW THAT YOU ARE EMPOWERED FOR WHATEVER CHOICE FEELS RIGHT TO YOU! There are absolutely NO rules, only the ones you DECIDE to create for the benefit of yourself, and ultimately the benefit OF US ALL!

SMILES! Michael S.

7 comments:

Roxanne said...

Hi Michael! I haven't been blogging for a while and I was drawn to check out your blog out of the blue! What a surprise to see this article which was so timely and helpful! Such great guidance about the sleep issue for my husband and I !! Wonderful to reconnect with your blog after a very long time away. Hope all is well in your world and wishing you all the best!
With love and light, Roxanne Elaine Smith (formerly pen name Elaine Sanders)

Michael R. Smith said...

This makes me thrilled. So glad this helped. Please do stay in touch! Michael

Anonymous said...

Great article. Gave me some ideas. Thanks

Unknown said...

It is hard enough to be a empath it is even harder to find a health relationship where the other partner understands and accepts what you are. I recently left a relationship with a narracist and am in the process of breaking all ties with him but he still is attempting to get me back by acting helpless. What little sleep I get becomes moments of heaven. Thank you for giving me a way to not feel constantly guilty because I become so exhausted that human contact becomes harder and harder to attempt.

Bunnykicks5 said...

Once again, Michael, you have posted information that directly hits home in my journey as an HSP and Empath. My sleep is the worst and it has wreaked havoc with my psyche and body. Thank you, most kindly, for your insight and suggestions. Much love and light to you.

Marsha said...

I just found this post and it has been very helpful...in addition to the empath problems with sleep, I also have arthritis in every mobile joint in my body. Sleep is always a problem for me. I had always heard that not sleeping together was "bad" for a relationship. Yet my current partner seldom sleeps with me and our relationship is much better that either of ex-husbands. Of course, the fact that they are narcissists may also have had something to do with it!

I wish I'd found all this information for empaths years ago. I'd be much healthier today.

Madame Decor said...

I mostly sleep alone. It seems to be the best for me. I've been married for 16 years and fortunately my hubby understands. I also suffer from insomnia which continues to be a problem for me.